Skip to main content

... when I said the horse was a unicorn, the four year olds went, “Nooooooo.”


So I was ill for pretty much the whole of March. I went from having a cold to a sinus infection to an ear infection. Then dragged myself to the docs, where I saw a new and nervous doctor who tried to tell me to ride it out! I very nicely said, “If you think I am leaving here without any antibiotics you have no idea what kind of person I am.” So I am mentally telling myself if this lady tries to not prescribe me anything, I am going to request to see someone else. I think my vibe was very strong as she excused herself to go and ask my family doctor who told her to of course give me antibiotics! I can't swallow pills. Don't ask me why, I just think I will choke so the pharmacist was like, “Err Abiola is all this syrup for you?”

I had an amazing school tour for World Book Day and sold so many books. It was also the launch of The Originals book and I read one of the stories to the reception kids. I read one story called 'The Magic Horse' and when I said the horse was a unicorn, the four year olds went, “Nooooooo.” It was so funny! I did a battle game with one of the Yr 5's and it was boys vs girls. The boys got so emotional when they lost that some of them started to cry. I was so confused. Then one was pretty much shouting at me and saying, “No! The girls lost! You're favouring them.” One thing I cannot take is when a child attempts to be rude to me, so I said, “Who do you think you're shouting at? Are you okay?” That shut him up real quick. The worst thing was that week it decided to snow again and I got so ill. So by my last school I was pretty much just a hot mess and I can't even remember what my last school visit was like.

But honestly the snow was a mad one and I really don't like snow. When I was coming home from one school these college kids were having a snow fight and I made it very clear to them if a snowball touches me we are going to have a problem. They lovingly crossed the road.


I'm so late to the party but How To Get Away With Murder is AMAZING!!!! The only benefits of being sick is binge watching that and Narcos. Although now Pablo is dead it's gone a bit dry.

Check out my fun interview with Brizzlelassbooks

I swear winning this Trailblazer Award has been awesome. I am going to be on a panel at The London Book Fair! How cool!!! Catch me and the Trailblazer winners on Wednesday
2.30-3.30pm http://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/en/Contributors/5565090/Abiola-Bello
And I was asked to be a mentor for The Society of Young Publishers. When I got the email I was like Me?! You sure? So excited!!

The Author School was so good! Apart from the fact I was so ill and was pushing through. We had a a sold out class and the speakers were fantastic. If you haven't heard Gillian McAllister's testimony of her publishing journey, you need to! If you missed it I'll be giving some more author pointers with Charlene Shaw at Behind The Box Author's Workshop on  April 19th in Shoreditch. Grab a ticket here while you can https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/behind-the-boxauthors-workshop-tickets-44363507445?aff=es2







Check out my interview with Publishing Training Centre where I talk about books and diversity https://www.publishingtrainingcentre.co.uk/blogs/item/reflections-on-the-publishing-industry-today

Love the Freaky Friday video with Chris Brown and Lil' Dicky. We need more creative videos! Not everyday twerking.

Watched Ebru perform at Jazz Cafe last night. The way I drove down because I thought I was going to be late. I drove like a maniac, missed my turning, parked on some random street and power walked up. Then I got to the door and I couldn't bring my water. I was sweating! I drank the whole thing down in one go. Ebz was opening up for The London Community Gospel Choir. It was such a good show. This is only the start of a beautiful journey for her. LCGC are on some next level. When that guy sang Purple Rain. Legit chills.

I went to Move It a few weeks back to watch Melissa perform. First of all love is leaving the house recovering from being ill and in the snow to be at a dance show for a whole day. So glad I went cause it was so sick. I think the last time I went to Move It was in my teens when I performed there with Boy Blue but it defo is a show for dance schools. The talent was crazy! I do love the buzz of being at a dance show. On the way to the show, this girl was coughing like crazy on the platform. So when we got on the train I sat all the way on the opposite side. Why this girl walks across an empty train to ask to sit next to me is beyond me. Now I did feel rude for this but I just got up and walked away *covers face* She looked so offended and I felt terrible but guys I cannot keep being sick. Even when I was teaching these kids, we were holding hands in a circle and one of the kids sneezed on my hand. I just lost it and shouted, “This is why I get sick!” Needless to say I was signed off for the week from work.

Speaking of dance, I am halfway through my last edit with my new YA story Beats, Love and high top trainers. It hasn't been an easy one to write! But I think this is the book to secure me a new banging agent.

I walked out of a dance job the other day. I don't know what it is about the ladies that work in a school office that go on a power trip but I have noticed that when you look younger than what you are they try and talk to you like you are dumb. Now the thing with me is I can be really calm and will always try and resolve a situation but as soon as you start putting some base in your voice, it's game over.

Wasn't March for our lives so inspiring? That girl Emma Gonzalez speech was so powerful. She is incredible.

The Hashtag Press party and launch of The Originals is THIS THURSDAY! Grab a free ticket here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hashtag-press-first-birthday-party-launch-of-the-originals-tickets-43130462374

As I'm getting the kids ready to perform one of the 6 year olds asked me, “Why are we the only brown people in the room?”
Me, looking around the room and noticing it for the first time. “Err because we're awesome.”
6 year old: “WE'RE AWESOME!”
Ha!

My obsession with Michael B Jordan is getting out of hand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for