Skip to main content

“Do you want to go to the premiere tonight?” Err do I?


It's Black History Month and it is freezing cold. I ordered my fur coat ASAP. I was so lucky that my cousin hooked me up with a weekend packed with The Hate U Give. I read THUG last year. I remember seeing it in Waterstones and picking it up because I saw a picture of a black girl on the cover. When I read the title I was like, didn't Tupac say this? I then read the blurb and literally was in shock that this Black Lives Matter book was in Waterstones ( as it should be but it's not something you see every day). I sat down and read it up to Khalil and the policeman. I couldn't get over the fact that this book had been published by a big publishing house. I brought it straight away and finished reading it the next day. It is one of my favourite books so when Toyin told me she was working the BFI London Fim Festival and THUG was going to be shown and did I want to see an exclusive screening, all I could say was Girl!!!!!! Then she upped it by getting me tickets to hear Angie Thomas and George Tillman Jr talk about the book to film adaption. She also got me tickets to give away to the young people at The Lil' Author Skool. I tweeted it and it Twitter went mad! It helped that Angie retweeted as well. I couldn't believe when she told me that Devante wasn't in the film. He is one of my favs! That afternoon Toyin said, “Do you want to go to the premiere tonight?” Err do I? The only issue was it wasn't confirmed but we had to go down that evening in black tie.
Me: So we're going to go in black tie in the cold and wait for a film we may not get into and we already have tickets to see it tomorrow?
Toyin: Yeah
Me: Nah allow it
I'm so tried so I fall asleep for a nap. The next day when I see Toyin to go watch THUG.
Toyin: Oh, we had tickets for the premiere by the way.
AHHHHHHHH!!! The Hate U Give is AMAZING!! It made me laugh and cry and it got me mad. I think at one point everyone in the audience was in tears and I was hoping that people remember that this is real life. My issue is black culture is so popular but when it comes to these injustices, there's always excuses of why it's okay for the police to treat an innocent person like that. Go and watch it/read the book. It's the most important thing out there right now.






It also made me realise how much I want my movie! Trust me it's coming!

I posted this pic for Black History Month on my Instagram and was so surprised how much attention it got from the authors that wrote the books and the public. It's a bit crap that this is all I have on my bookshelf of black lead characters from a black author but I'm sure it will grow by next year! Read the 1% people!

I then went to the Michael Jackson Off The Wall exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. Wasn't Michael just the best? It was such a beautiful presentation of his life and there was a projector showing one of his concerts. The way people were fainting because he took of his sunglasses and crying. Imagine having such an impact on people like that. I so wish I had seen him perform in real life. He truly is the G.O.A.T.


I am swamped with work! I don't even have time to just chill. Last night I stayed up till 3am just so I could watch an hour and a half of TV. This is life for me guys. There's some very cool things happening book wise, which I should be able to share in the next week or so.

I can't believe it's been a year since winning the Trailblazer Award. I swear winning literally opened so many doors for me but most of all it gave me confidence in what we're doing. Wishing good luck to everyone that has entered the 2019 one.

October is birthday month. I had Leanne's bday, my mama turned 60 and she was partying in Dubai on a yacht (I know right!) and it was also Anneliese's bday. Plus Jordan's surprise 16th bday party. I took Anneliese to see MISTY and do you know what? Seeing it the 2nd time is actually even better. I just don't understand how Arinze Kene is so beautiful. I fell in love again. Annelise fell in love. It was just a love fest.

How funny was the Nicki Minaj/ Cardi B beef? When Cardi said, “Are you a fighter or a victim? Miss Chun-Li Street fighter.” I was done!

Helen went to Frankfurt Book Fair this year and it was a slam dunk. We got offers for books with foreign rights and we got a US sales and distribution team. Was just so epic. I got offers for my book Beats, Love and high top trainers - eek!! Then I went to Foyles in Charing Cross and saw Hashtag Press books on the shelves and our first picture book Goodbye Daisy by Stephanie Nimmo arrived and looks beautiful!! I wish I could bottle that feeling when things start to pay off.

The Author School is almost sold out!! We have I think maybe 5 tickets left. So if you want to write a book or have written one and need help - you have to come! We have some serious heavy weight speakers. You can learn more here www.theauthorschool.com/classes/
Use the code:NOV702018 to get 10% off


I was watching this programme called Black Hollywood: They Gotta Have Us on BBC2. It was so interesting seeing the development of inclusion and diversity in film and I can't wait till publishing catches up with that. And then John Boyega being in it was a plus. I love John Boyega! I think it's what he symbolises. Young, Nigerian from Peckham who is in the creative arts and is now an A-Lister. It's just so inspiring and makes me want to work harder because if he can get there, I for sure can. I do feel like I am slightly obsessed with him though lol. I used to have this obsession with Drake where for 6 months straight, I would have a dream about him and I don't even fancy Drake!

I met up with Zarah and she took me to a Filipino dessert place called Mamason's. I tried this dessert called Bilog. It's sweet bread with Ube ice-cream in the middle. There was me asking, “Do you have Vanilla?” Because Ube is a purple sweet yam and I feel like I had it once and didn't like but I ordered it. OMG! It is so so so so good. My new favourite thing.

Books I'm reading at the moment. Was reading War Storm but I just can't get into it, which is annoying cause I want to know how it ends for Mare!! I've actually read Girl Boss before, but it's so good I have to read it again.

Follow me @abiolabello
Twitter: @emilyknightiam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for