Skip to main content

I showed her this picture of Drake and she literally was speechless for about 10 seconds


Can you believe Christmas is almost here? This year has seriously blown by. I feel like I was just in Wakanda for my birthday literally the other day.

So one of the exciting things I wanted to mention in my last blog is...my book is shortlisted for London's Big Read 2019! Emily Knight I am...Awakened has been doing so well and now it's up against 14 books and it's up to the public to vote for their fav book. Voting starts World Book Day 2019. We had the launch party for it, with the other authors, family, friends and press. I had to do some interviews and I got to go on London Live to talk about my book! I have no idea why I thought London Live was radio and not live TV. All Helen told me was not to be late. I totally forgot that I had my first BookBrunch committee meeting but thankfully they were fine with me missing this one. Of course this was the day when there was diversions and cancelled trains. I had to be there at 5 and the building was next to the station. At 4.55pm my train decides to stop in the tunnel. Real talk I was losing hope. Helen told me to still go so I literally ran to the building and made it a few minutes after 5 and thankfully I was still able to do the interview. Once they got us seated, I got so nervous and do you know what I do when I'm nervous? I swear. I was with Emilie and Laura who lovingly told me, you've got this and don't swear! It was over in 5 minutes and I still can't believe I got to talk on live TV about my book. Of course my dad sent the link to every family member across the world lol.
Laura always dresses so cool and I said to her, “You're making me feel shit.” So I went to the nearest H&M and spent a silly amount of money updating my wardrobe.
You can watch our interview here London Live London's Big Read 2019

One of the cool things about London's Big Read is all the authors have to do these free events to promote the theme of the competition which is female empowerment and I am doing a few under a series called Girls Can Do Anything from February to June. It's events aimed at empowering writers to create dynamic, strong and well rounded female protagonists or female voices in their writing—so grab a ticket for free and join me and my special guest speakers
Girls Can Do Anything ticket Use the code at checkout to get the ticket for free: girlscandoanything2019

And I'm also collaborating my Emily Knight books with some very talented people who know all the people I want to know in film. EEEK! It's one of those things that I can't talk more about but I will say it involves some Hollywood vibes with one of my favs and it's so sick! It's funny because I was working with other people to produce Emily for I think a year and they basically went ghost on me (I have no idea why) and now they watch all my IG stories, so I cannot WAIT to shout about this.

Helen and I were about to have our Christmas party and we was on a phone call. I was scrolling through Instagram and I showed her this picture of Drake. She literally was speechless for about 10 seconds. I could see she that she was trying to talk but she couldn't do it. I almost peed my pants laughing.



I got to see the legend that is Ms Lauryn Hill to celebrate 20 years of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Now I was fully prepared for her not to turn up—I know about her rep but she came on and was amazing! She sang all my favs and even did Killing Me Softly. I know people have a lot to say about her not being professional but she was on point on my night.
There was this young  couple in front of us who went thought at least 3 bottles of wine and they spilt their drink on the lady next to us, who understandably goes mad.  I had some tissues so gave it to lady. So they're going back and forth and the guy is so drunk that he's swinging his cup around, so it's spilling on the floor. Then he purposely tilts his drink so more alcohol spills on the lady's lap. Now I'm like hell nah! And I start having a go at him. The girls next to us are talking to the girlfriend and the lady who got drink spilt on her goes to find security. I say to the guy, “I saw you purposely spill your drink on her. That's not cool.”
He has the cheek to deny it and then his girlfriend starts crying and staring at me! Saying how he didn't do it on purpose, why would he. I'm so lost because I saw him do it.
Drunk girl: Everyone is shouting at me, it's scary
Me: No-one is shouting at you
Drunk girl: Those girl are shouting and scaring me
Me (looking over and trying not to laugh): You mean the Black girls?
Drunk girl: Yeah they want to hurt me
Me: Don't make this into a race thing. We're defending the girl your man spilt his drink on who is white!
They ended up getting kicked out and the girl who got drink spilt on her then told us she was pregnant! It was definitely a show.

Anyone looking to get into publishing? We have a 6-8 hour admin position available at Hashtag Press. Send your cv and why you would be a good fit for us to info@hashtagpress.co.uk and we are launching Hashtag Press 2020 in Jan, offering a traditional deal to an author! We also just published our 10th book with our first author Stephanie Nimmo!!!! Can't believe we are on book 10—so wild.



I had a full on convo with Malorie Blackman last week. It took me 10 minutes to stop being a fan girl and go and say hi! Then Yolanda Adams commented on our dance video to 'I Believe.' Yessss! Watch the video here 




Went to Christmas at London Zoo with Anneliese and Pauline. I thought the animals would all be out still but they weren't, it was mainly these cool lights. Pauline is a trip. She kept telling us about some animal that attacked her at the zoo in Zambia or something crazy but I dragged her along anyway. I hate marshmallows but they had a campsite type fire to roast them so I brought a hot chocolate flavoured one and OMG. Totally get it. It tasted like a hot chocolate drink with whipped cream. Soooo good!

My last blog of the year will be NY Eve! Wishing you all a Merry Christmas x














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for