Skip to main content

I swear when I wrote Drake, I literally heard Soulja Boy's voice saying, “DRAAAAAAKKKE!”


If you are reading this that means that you survived January! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Isn't it just the worst month? It's dark, cold, everyone is broke and it drags on for years. Even those born in January are annoyed because no-one can celebrate with them. So glad it's over!

I started 2019 with visuals from Chocolate City Comics. Isn't the Osaki Training School beautiful? Found out some months afterwards that the company is ran by a scam artist who I had to sue BUT the artwork is lovely! Silver lining and all that.


I am about five chapters away from the end of Emily Knight 3. I have no idea why it is taking me so long to do but it is driving me slightly insane. I hate when you know how close you are to the end but yet you are not at the end!! 

I went to Waterstones and saw my book on the shelf and one of the staff asked me to sign it. I was so cool but inside I was like AAAAHHH!! 

We ran our first event for The Author School and did a #Bookstagram class. I thought I knew Instagram but there was still so much I learnt from the session. I totally forgot about the Algorithm's and the best way to utilise it and it's made such a big difference in terms of engagement. Anyone that knows me knows that if I didn't have to be on social media for work, I wouldn't be. I defo wouldn't be on Instagram because I think the weirdest people are on there. I have never so many naked people than I have on Instagram but seeing that I have to be on it, I may as well learn the best ways to use it. Hopefully we can run the class again because it was really insightful. 

This month has been ALOT. I feel like as soon as I started back at work it has just been on another level of manic. I realised that I just need more help running the businesses so Helen and I have hired our first employee for Hashtag Press and The Author School. We haven't told them yet but it will just be such a massive help for us. We basically just need someone to organise our lives. Period. The companies are growing and there is no way we can get it to the next level working as we are. 

Then my bright ass thought let me get back into dance. Not dancing professionally, but teaching dance again. I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea. Only when I started it did I realise that my passion for teaching is gone. One of the jobs actually asked me if it was OK if another teacher came to my class to copy my choreo to teach her class! WTF?! I left that job quick. I think my time of teaching is just done and do you know what? That's okay! I wanted to work in publishing and I am living my dreams working in it and I just need to focus on that. 

Out 11th book came out today and our first for 2019! My Mini-Micro Mindset Manual by Neeta Oza. It's a cute, little A-Z book with tips on how to achieve a positive mindset and Neeta has been so proactive on social media, approaching her local bookstores - doing all the right things! I highly recommend this book. There are signed copies all over the gaff - Foyles, Daunts etc

We launched Hashtag Press 2020!!! We are offering a traditional publishing contract to the best adult fiction, YA or middle-grade book. If you have one, please send the first three chapters to hashtagpress2020@hashtagpress.co.uk Closes September 2019!

I saw that Wireless Festival sold out super quick. As much as I love Cardi B,  I am still pissed that they never replaced her act when she cancelled last year cause she was pregnant. Also, I am scarred by the behaviour at that ratchet festival. Then I figured Wireless is ratchet. Cardi is ratchet. I need to be in the O2, where I can enjoy the ratchet behaviour safely from my seat. 

For London's Big Read, I am doing free monthly panel talks from Feb to June called Girls Can Do Anything. The theme is female empowerment in publishing and writing and I have the BEST speakers! The first session is Feb 6th at Library and it's all about being a girl boss in this crazy publishing industry with guest speakers, Charlie Morris (Little Tiger/Stripes), Hannah Sheppard (literary agent) and Gillian McAllister (author, and she has come to The Author School before). Use code; girlscandoanything2019 and get a free ticket. Get your FREE ticket here! 



Has R.Kelly been arrested yet? I need an update. If you haven't watched Surviving R.Kelly, you need to like yesterday.

The kids at church was showing me these new dance moves and I seriously felt like an Aunty. I have no idea what they were doing, what these songs were. There was one move Tahillah did, and it was this odd twisty type move. 
Me: Oh, it's like the twist.
She looked HORRIFIED!
Me: Hey! Don't make that face, that's not even my era!
I swear these kids get cheekier by the second. 

I really wanted to see the Dragon Ball Z movie and I thought who could I go with? My brother was in London for a few weeks and it was his bday so I suggested we should go. Do you know how he responded? "Meh." That's what he said to me. Please believe this guy practically forced me to watch Dragon Ball Z growing up and now he says, "Meh" to me! 

YOU on Netflix. O-M-G. 

So Drake was selling tickets for his concert for £170! Can we take a second. Those same seats Drake is selling for that price, when I first saw him in O2, I paid £60 and back then I was like, “£60 FOR DRAKE!” I swear when I wrote Drake, I literally heard Soulja Boy's voice saying, “DRAAAAAAKKKE!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for