Skip to main content

I had the strangest week.


Hey all!

How weird is this year? First of all I can't even believe it's going to be JULY! My birthday is in a month and I don't even understand how it has come around so fast. I am literally like where can I even go on my birthday?? Can I have a launch party in September? I have no clue. One part of me wants to plan stuff and the other part is like just chill. This weekend would have been my epic summer weekend at British Summer Time Fest. All cancelled. YALC got booked for that. Cancelled.

I've been doing various interviews about Black people in publishing. I really pray that these conversations aren't in vain and we see some real change for once. I'm tired from having these same conversations and I hope the narrative changes quickly. I have been seeing some dumb things. Someone posted 45 books to help children understand Black Lives Matter and put a book about a Chinese character. Another said white authors here to help Black authors. Oh don't worry I have been calling them out. Honestly this level of ignorance is the problem. I am determined to use my platform to help Black writers as much as possible.


I had the strangest week. A few weeks ago there was a hashtag trending on Twitter called #PublishingPaidMe and it literally made me feel sick. It showed how Black and white authors were being paid very differently in advances. Matt Haig was on £600K (you can see the tweets at the end of the blog). It never even dawned on me that was a thing. That was like the icing on the cake for me with this publishing industry and the bullshit. I did some interviews about it for BookBrunch, The Bookseller and an interview about diversity in publishing and children's book for Culture Whisper 
The next day Helen messaged me and said an offer has come in for my new YA book. Usually that would have made me jump with joy but I just felt exhausted. I asked her for a few days to think about it. That same day  I saw a call out from literary agent Gemma Cooper on Twitter that said if any Black authors want feedback for a book to get in touch. I figured why not get feedback before I potentially take this deal so I sent the book to Gemma. Gemma's closed for submissions so for me it was just feedback. A few days later, Gemma asks to read the rest of the manuscript. I'm still in a bit of a weird headspace but I had just done The Bookseller and BookBrunch interview so I just sent the book in, forgetting that I didn't get my feedback. The next day, Gemma asks if I have representation. Now I'm like oh shit! Let me break down why.
So I was signed to Raimondi and Campbell Literary Agency but I left them a few years ago. Then I was submitting this new YA book to literary agents. Two of them were interested but both were going on maternity leave. One got back to me and said no and the other asked me to wait until she was back at work in some months but I didn't want to wait that long for an answer. During that time Helen had set up The Literally Agency and wanted me to sign to her. I was hesitant to sign with Helen as we do so much together, I thought is this too much? But then Helen will do her absolute best by me. I ended up signing to Helen and she pitched the book. We had 7 publishers interested. Anyway fast forward and the deals offered I didn't like, then it went all quiet with publishers saying I like it will get back to you...then nothing. When Emily Knight I am...Awakened got Carnegie nominated that brought more interest and I got an offer of representation from Trident Media in NYC who our massive! The prob was I was already signed to Helen and they didn't want this YA book as it's very UK but they were interested in my next book if I decided to go with them. Then one of the 7 publishers got back and offered a deal. You see the problem?
I spoke to Helen about it and she was totally fine with me swapping agents and agreed that we are very entwined lol. So now I am signed to one of the best literary agencies The Bent Agency and repped by Gemma! God is great! I am so excited!





Lizzie McGuire cast did a live reading for an episode and it was one of the best things ever! Then of course I went on Disney+ and binge watched the episodes.







Our children's book we released during lockdown. Bookshops were closed. Schools were closed. Baller Boys by Venessa Taylor hit the NUMBER 1 BESTSELLERS SPOT!!!! And it keeps selling out. OMG!!!



I am literally drowning in books. Between The Diverse Book Awards and submissions for Hashtag BLAK, I am so done.

These Verzuz battles on Instagram are keeping me going. Nelly vs Ludacris. 112 v Jagged Edge. Living my best 90's/2000 life! I just wished they started earlier so it wouldn't be 1am UK time. One of the best ones though was Kirk Franklin and Fred Hammond—that Gospel music was so needed! I know it will never happen but I want a Beyonce v Rihanna one. A girl can dream.

My brother had his first Father's Day! I can't wait to meet my nephew. He is the cutest thing! Only thing that annoys me is when we FaceTime and my dad waves he gets all excited and when I do it he literally doesn't move!

Anyone need help getting an agent? Or book marketing and PR? Well Helen and I just dropped our new online course and this one is fire!! Helen's course is actually part of a 6 month course and it's only a fiver. No joke. Sign up today 


Katie Hopkins got banned from Twitter! Drinks all round!






Follow me on Instagram @abiolabello
Twitter @emilyknightiam
www.a-bello.com
Grab the Emily Knight book bundle 


Follow me on Instagram @abiolabello

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for