Skip to main content

The Birthday Blog: I turned 30 in Wakanda

                     
Well kinda. I'm 30 years old!!! Hot damn. I am grown like a proper grown up. It's the oddest feeling. I knew I was an adult before (obvs)  but now I'm 30! This decade I'll get married, have kids, become a millionaire (God willing)—I mean, that's a lot going on. But it also makes me feel powerful. I don't need to put up with any weird behaviour or negative vibes. I don't need to be anywhere or do anything that I don't want to do because I am 30! Can I get an Amen?

As a pre-birthday warm up, Aleta took me to this Thai place called Crazy Bear. OMG the food was one of the best things I have ever tasted. We had a chocolate creme brûlée. I have never had a normal one let alone a chocolate one and it was smooth but had a crunchy sugary top. Divine. But the toilets were so weird. The door was part of the wall like some Harry Potter vibes and then inside it was dark. Really dark. I have no idea how Aleta managed to get her contacts out. Then there was no sign which was men and ladies so of course I caught a man peeing.

I haven't had a birthday party since my 18th and I was determined to have one. Thankfully we had the best heat so I didn't feel like I needed to go on holiday. I forgot how expensive it is planning a party. Uh! I was getting so frustrated spending my money. I was trying to give off vibes to people like do a surprise party but no one got the hint. Even getting my outfit together was such a headache. This guy my mum recommended made it for me but the skirt was too poofy. He had made me a top (which I wore to Jamilah's wedding) and the boob tube one was a surprise he did for me which was nice but it was too tight. So I was asking him to amend them and you know when someone just doesn't want to do it. He was trying to tell me it's fine, just leave it and I was thinking did I pay you? Or did you pay me? Then he said he has this dress to make over the weekend so can he fix it all AFTER MY PARTY!! I just paid a tailor to fix my skirt and got my mate to fix my top. I really wanted some Black Panther items, so my cousin brought some props and made them which I thought was a nice touch. Getting these 30 balloons was so annoying. First of all who knew balloons were so expensive? Then I was like do I even need balloons? Everyone said yes! And every site was saying I have to blow them up. I wanted gold balloons but all I could find was silver or rose gold and as I was walking back from the tailors, I passed a card shop on Stoke Newington High St who had the gold balloons - the cheapest I had seen -  and would blow them up for me. It was a bit mad getting them to the venue in the heat but the venue prepared everything for me so it was all good.

It all came together in the end. My friend flopped with doing my make up and usually that would have pissed me right off but I honestly couldn't even be bothered to use my energy to be mad. I just thought lesson learned, let's move on. So I was looking at MAC and Bobby Brown to book a make up artist. I was leaning more towards MAC because I was thinking about colours that pop but then MAC where all booked up. I have never used Bobby Brown products before but Aleta and YouTube vloggers reassured me that they are sick so I booked it. My make up artist was Craig and when I tell you my make up was lit af. He said, “I'm going to make you a bronze goddess.” I said, “Do it boo.”

The party was AMAZING!!! It literally was even better than I hoped. The turnout was great and people made such an effort to dress up. Now I had over invited because I had a big minimum spend to make so I'm sure some people were confused why I had invited them lool. Thankfully I went way over the minimum spend. Any shots offered to me, I drank it! One guy came up from a party downstairs cause he heard the music. He asked if he could stay to dance and I was like sure but buy me a drink! He brought loads of people drinks and was dancing.
My cake was BEAUTIFUL! Zarah and Zainab really outdid themselves with it. They even got Is This Your Queen? Twas's a great night. I was so drunk though I forgot to get a pic with everyone doing the Wakanda Forever, arms crossed and that was literally the one thing I needed to do! Fortunately, the sober people did do one and sent it to me.

I had to go to church the next day because we have the Youth Takeover Show happening on the 26th and I was a mess. Everyone that came last night looked a mess. It took me 7 bottles of water and a large McDonald's to feel normal.

Then on my actual bday, the sun was hot and blazing. I think that was the last day where the weather was perfect. Ebru took me to this place near Knightsbridge and they had the most amazing desserts and a flower wall! I then spent all my bday money getting Fenty - as you do. That evening I went to see Chicago. It was that or Aladdin but Chicago was cheaper and I love the film. They even gave me a free upgrade on my ticket but Chicago was not great. It just wasn't as epic as the film and just not West End standard.

Ebru got me tickets to see Britney! Now I'm an 88 kid that grew up in the 90's so I love Britney-who doesn't? I have always said one of my regrets is not seeing Slave 4 U Britney because she was crazy sick. I loved the show. I had the best time just singing my heart out BUT Britney cannot dance anymore and I really need to know why. Some people were trying to say because of her age or some knee injury. Listen, when you can dance, you can always dance but my girl is moving like she had no rhythm and didn't come out with a snake around her neck at the MTV Awards and still merked the choreo. She needs to fire her choreographer cause they are a hot mess and get to training or go to a Beyonce concert and learn! We did have floor seat tickets so I did love that. Check my Instagram to see videos @abiolabello

I got a few more bday treats coming up, one being Kevin Hart this weekend. I have no idea why people don't find him funny! His last tour, I got my brother tickets and I was so ill on the day. I swear I laughed myself better. Anneliese and my brother both ended up getting me tickets but my brother couldn't get 2 tickets so I said just get me 1. Then the ticket got upgraded to a floor seat! But Anneliese had got me a pair and I had already invited Zarah to come with me so I sold the floor seat ticket and I can't lie it hurt man.

All in all a great start to my 30th!!


Speaking of the Youth Takeover show it was so sick. Even I was watching it impressed and I had already seen most of the pieces. The standard was high and consistent. None of the mini's messed up or cried and I think we're on to something with this annual show. This was the second year running and it was even better than last years (last year's was dope). I truly believe it's just going to grow and grow. Youth Takeover show Highlights

My parents celebrated their 36 years of marriage. #goals

The Knights ends at midnight. So amazed at how many people have read my little story. Thank you to everyone that has read it and to those who have asked  I'm halfway through book 3. I think a 2020 release date. Man writing a book is bloody hard.

I didn't have much work apart from Hashtag this summer so I felt like I actually got to have a summer for once. Actually gutted that it's come to an end.

I swear it is so funny anytime Nicki Minaj and Safaree get into it on social media. I haven't heard Queen yet and I keep forgetting I have free Tidal for a while so I can stream it but when is getting an album that's number 2 a bad thing? Let Travis Scott live his life. His smart for getting Kylie to post about his album. It's called marketing.

When Kourtney was cussing Kim and said, “You are a very unique individual.” I said, “Girl, preach!”

I went to my first wedding! My mates Jamilah and Sam got married and had an amazing traditional Nigerian X Ghana wedding. I taught the bridesmaid their dance and they did so well considering we only had 3 lessons and I swear they hadn't even had one lesson when they were all together. It was really hard cause I was preparing the the Youth Takeover Show so my Sundays were just insane. And then teaching them the day after my party, I was just done with life. I have no idea how on the day I ended up doing so many things but it was a gorgeous day and the food was so good. I literally could have sat there and ate all day.

Thank God for Medy. The way I have been eating without him kicking my butt I would be a hot mess.

I did some fun interviews this summer. One with The Writers' Pod with Nikki Valance http://www.nikkivallance.com/the-writers-pod-presents-abiola/
and a podcast interview with The Authors Podcast https://authors.podbean.com/e/authors-podcast-episode-17-abiola-bello/
Hopefully there's some tips to help you out!

I was meant to go Carnival but couldn't be bothered to go. I don't know why Notting Hill is soooo far!

Can we take a second? How flipping GORGEOUS!!

@abiolabello
www.a-bello.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for