Skip to main content

And ghetto Belle is my mooooooood!


I have a home for Girls Can Do Anything! Four Communications who completely saved my ass by offering a free space for my last event when Library messed up have agreed to host my future events. Isn't God good? So I'm thinking to bring it back for the release of Sara's book Ticking off Breast Cancer that we're publishing at Hashtag Press. We have an idea for a great panel with AMAZING women and I think that would be amazing.

Now my schedule is super packed BUT I'm ready to take my career to the next level. I love and am so proud of how I have forced my way into publishing but I just don't want to be stuck in publishing. I love when creative people get to do other things in a different creative field and that's what I want to do. Then I had a dream that I was in a meeting with Helen but she was dressed like Kris Jenner! Securing the bag. It hit me! I've been working with different people for different parts of my career but really Helen is my Kris freaking Jenner! Apart we're great but together we are explosive. Of course Helen had a similar idea so when we met it just synced and now we have an action plan. It's not daunting but it's just loads of work. Building your brand and taking it to the next level is never easy but I'm ready to do it.

I have good news! So my story Beats, Love and high top trainers has been doing the rounds at the publishing houses. With the big ones, one is still like will get back to you-long! And the other is like why is Abs not writing middle-grade? Can she make it middle-grade? Then going to the smaller houses, they were like why isn't she doing it through her own imprint?! Hashtag Press is better than ours. Adding that all up, I just thought do you know what unless it's a big massive house that has shit loads of money to pump into me, then I can do this through my own business and earn all the money. So that's what I'm going to do. My YA book will be out soon—more details to come and I can't wait for my lit launch party. My ideas for it are bloody brilliant.

That has made me want to go back into dance. Not on the competitive level I was on before but just to get back up there. I think it will look weird to have a dance book, advertise it and then I'm not dancing. You feel me? So I think a year of being consistent and training will make me feel comfortable to do some solo / freestyle stuff. Hopefully.

The Lion King is out next week!! Can we take a second for this picture. I am obsessed. Just got to see it for the culture.


I really really want a Range Rover. I'm due a new car and I just want a Range!! I'm currently with Ford and they keep ringing me offering great deals. I was being such a brat and asking for all this extra stuff, which they done but then they sent me the colours they had in stock and I'm just like meh.

I'm really not feeling my gym. They just keep getting rid of the fun classes, the music the instructors play is just so dead. I mean it's not everyday plank! I was initially thinking to ask the gym manager if I could start up a dance class, something fun like Beyonce just to get some form of vibe at the gym and then I figured let me just take my ass back to dance as my workout.

The other day I was leaving the gym and wanted to go Primark in Mare St. I was on the bus and passed this studio and they were doing Barre!!! I have wanted to do Barre for ages but it's always in the City and super expensive. To be fair this was still a bit pricey but it wasn't far from my home. I was so excited that I went home and booked it straight away. The day Barre was happening my dad wanted me to drop him at Forest Gate at party. The traffic was a madness and I was getting so annoyed because I really wanted to go Barre and they bloody fine you if you don't come. I made it to the class on time and told my dad I'll pick him out at half 8. The class was so hard. I know ballet is hard but this was intense but fun though. Defo triggered the dancing bug. Please tell me why when I went to my phone I had eight missed calls from my dad and two from my sister. I'm calling my dad.
Me: What's wrong?
Dad: Where are you? I'm bored.
Me: I said half 8. I'm at a class
Dad: So what time will you get here?
Me: HALF 8.
He then called me four times as I'm driving down to ask if I'm close by, then I can hear him in the background telling someone, “It's okay she can drop you.”
Me: What? Who are you talking to?
Conventionally he has a bad connection.
I get to the party and my dad is there with an uncle I haven't seen in years and his wife. They hop in the car so I guess I'm giving them a lift. My dad tries to tell me it's on the way home. It was not.
I am sweaty, starving and my body hurts so I'm not in the mood. We drop them off and my dad can tell so offers to buy me petrol. We can't find any so we drive to my local and the traffic was at a standstill. I don't know if it was just because it was a Friday night? We get petrol and there's this bakery that we go to to get this amazing bread and I said if I find a spot we can get it.
As I'm parking, Dad goes, “Oh should we leave it?”
Me: I'm already parking!
I turn to him waiting for him to go and get his bread. He looks down and I realise his shoes are off.
Dad: Oh my feet hurt can you get it?
He gives me the money and I lock him in the car. I literally walked up the road and something told me to turn round, My door is OPEN on a busy main road. I hurry back to the car.
Me: Dad the door!
Dad: I'm hot. You left me to roast.
Lord help me! I finally get the bread and then he says, “Didn't you get two?”
Let's just say getting home was a major priority.

Can we take a second for how epic Love Island was? Yes! Break up Michael and Joanna. And ghetto Belle is my mooooooood! The way she went for Anton, I was like let him know sis! Did anyone else cry when Amy gave her leaving speech?

I love Wimbledon but very glad it's over. It was really distracting me from doing work. I really wanted Serena to win but Halep was amazing wasn't she? The way people on Twitter were trying to trash Serena when she is the greatest female athlete of all time! Despite her age as the commentators kept feeling to remind everyone. So dumb. I love when Serena shouts, “Come on!” I think I'll adopt that. The men's finals had me on the edge of my seat. In awe of them playing for over 4 hours.

Kylie Jenner with a private jet with her brand across it is the level of extra I need in my life. Period.

Make sure to follow the blog! Check out my website www.a-bello.com and follow on Instagram @abiolabello and Twitter @emilyknightiam 

Oh and buy the books obvs ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for