Skip to main content

...yes I did say his name in the mirror 5 times. Does that mad man need to be resurrected?


Good news! Remember in my last blog I had two parking fines? And one went up because they claimed I never paid but I did? So I called up to pay over the phone and the payment literally was pending in my account for a week—basically the council couldn't be bothered to take out the money. So now I'm really annoyed as this is the second time I tried to pay for this damn parking. I called up, spoke to this lovely girl who asks me when I got the letters. Turns out I didn't have my full days to pay so they lowered it back down to £65. I will take £65 over £130 anyway so was happy with that!

And the good news keeps on rolling! I literally had the worst start to the year. It felt like every day there was something crap happening to the point I wanted to quit my own company (I know!) and just doing something not publishing related. I kept praying about it and I felt in my soul everything was going to work out but you know when you're just like WHEN??? Well my book is in the final of The People's Book Prize!! Yay!! And not just mine, so is 3 other Hashtag titles AND Hashtag is up for Best Publishing House. EEEK!!! There's also one other huge thing but will reveal all in my next blog.


So I had a few people ask me what happened with Chocolate City Comics? To sum it up Tobias who runs it, is just some fraud guy and it's such a shame. I thought he seemed really nice but I got that wrong. I went to them for artwork for my website. He then said I should use it for a pitch bible to pitch to producers and he knows all these producers and big actors. So I'm thinking okay cool. Anyway he gets me my artwork—one was of Emily, Lox, The Osaki Triaining School. Tobias turns round and says, “Who would be your dream cast?”
 I said,“ I want it to stay as British as possible and always thought John Boyega would be a good Lox Knight.”
Tobias then says, “Well I know John let me ask him.” This boy sends me fake texts of John saying yeah and he wants a meeting with me when it's done then proceeds to get artwork of Lox done in John Boyega likeness. It all started going downhill when I asked for a few more pics and Tobias literally disappeared for a few months but he is still on social media posting cause he is the only one that runs it. When he finally gets back in touch, he said he will send the artwork over by the end of the week. Another month goes by with nothing so I ask for a refund. That's when he really came alive! I still have the messages. By the end of his weird ranting he said he would refund the money on Monday. He didn't. So I got a lawyer on his ass. Ended up speaking to John Boyega's team and they don't know this guy and defo didn't give any authorisation for him to draw Lox in John's likeness. Can you imagine? I wanted a pic of MY character and this guy then made up a whole lie with his chest saying we should draw it as John. Why???? Even the forest pics that he gave to me are on another person's site. I literally will never understand how someone even acts like that. So now Tobias has outstanding money owed to me and the courts and countless claims against him, when all he had to was give me the artwork or refund the money. I would strongly advise you not to work with this strange person and if you like the artwork he promotes then approach the artists directly.

Now back onto great things! I did an interview with The I Paper. You can have a read of it here. I love this press I've been doing lately that have allowed me to be so honest and transparent.

The submissions we're getting for Hashtag BLAK have been AMAZING!!! I'm hoping we can sign at least two authors in the next few months. If you feel you have a book for us then please have a look at the guidelines www.hashtagblak.co.uk 

How beautiful was Kobe and Gianna Bryant memorial service? Beyonce singing literally gave me chills! I can't get over how together Vanessa Bryant is. She literally is such a queen. She's having to share her families grief with the entire world and she has held herself so amazingly though it all.

Finally joined the braid gang. I swear I've been saying I wanted braids since last year spring. It's actually crochet twists but I like them! Took some getting used too but glad I got them done so I can finally stop banging on about it!

Whenever you are around teens as much as I am, you end up annoyingly get into the things that they're into. One of which is Tk Tok. So yes I did learn the original Renegade dance and yes I was like what the hell are all these moves? But yes I did get it. Snaps fingers. You can see it on my Instagram 

I really thought Siannise and Luke T were going to win Love Island. They are actually adorable together. Speaking of adorable I went on the cutest date the other day. Why can't my days be like that all the time?

My car is so weird. It does this thing where if I have it in neutral but it's still on and I leave it for some minutes it re-starts itself. The other day my car got all dusty cause of some work being done to a house I was parked by. I just assumed the rain would clean it and all the ten million storms we've had. It did get kind of clean but not all the way so today I figured I'll just get it washed. They thought I was mad cause the car literally kept re-starting itself. I had to keep turning it off to not freak them out,

So my latest baby is The Diverse Book Awards. It's open to any fiction book from 2019 (doesn't matter how you're published). Entries close in May so if you have a book, please get involved. We've had loads of entries but never too many I say. www.thediversebookawards.co.uk 

We published our first book under our self-publishing imprint Ink! I can't wait to see it. If you need help self-publishing help holla at me!

Someone tweeted and said all major sports events cancelled but The London Book Fair is still happening. This is about the coronovirus. To be honest I don't know if they should cancel or not but what I don't get is when the virus is spreading it's because people are coming to other countries from infected countries. Why aren't they being tested when they land?

I've given up swearing for Lent. Pray for me cause I swear so much I don't even know I swear.

Have you seen that video of that gymnast dancing to Beyonce and absolutely killing it??

Candyman is being re-made! Listen Candyman freaked me out the most as a kid and yes I did say his name in the mirror 5 times. Does that mad man need to be resurrected?  I'm not even scared of horror films but I know I'm going to pee my pants watching it. And of course I'm going to watch it with Ebru because I'm sure her screaming will make me laugh loads.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for