Skip to main content

'Stop stalking me you f***ing bitch'

So I've been off work all week having what I call a 'Writing Week.' This basically is me sending out manuscripts, writing or editing new stories etc. Seeing as the work experience flopped! It's now my last day and I'm proud to announce I have sent off 2 manuscripts to literary agents and I have learnt that investing in my future is expensive!! I really thought I would send more than that but literary agents are so picky. They all want different things. It's not like if you want a retail job and you send out one good CV to every store and someone eventually gives you a job. Nope. Some agents want 3 chapters of your story, others want first 50 pages and some want 'sample chapters' which is code for your best. Then you have to number the pages, make sure all spelling and anal stuff like comma's and full stops are on point, print off and pray the print comes out nice and fresh. Next is the query letter where you write to the agent, telling them the overall storyline, why your books so great and any cool writing stuff you've done. Very important to check that you have the right agents name. Nothing worse than sending to Rosie at Christopher Little but you write Rosa who's at Chicken House. Then comes the posting. It took me 4 1st class stamps to send to one agent! Makes me wonder if anything I sent off before ever got to the agents because I naively put one stamp on this heaving envelope. I've applied to be a theatre critic for this arts website. There looking for creative writers and it's volunteer. I hope they consider me, would be very cool.

Talking of theatres, I went to see The Lion King for the second time. I forgot how absolutely AMAZING it is. Not gonna lie, I got a bit teary eyed when Mufasa died and the lionesses start crying but the singing was so gorgeous and Timeon and Pumba - too funny. I just found it strange that Simba started off as a dark skinned little black kid and somehow morphed in to a very light, Moroccan looking man.

Met up with Leanne this week at Nandos. Was so great to see her. You know those friends you don't see enough of because of time but when you do see each other it's just so good? That's her. She introduced me to the Calorie Count App and what you do is you type on what you eat that day and you have a calorie allowance of what you can eat, that you can't go over but because I dance, I get to eat loads!!!! And it really works, I already lost 3 pounds in 5 days. Leanne persuaded me to come to Project G.

Project G is a group of girls from different dance groups like MYSELF, Illusion's, Retaliation, Boy Blue etc who get taught by different female choreographers every week and they make a set together. It's good because it's uniting groups together. It's kinda like how Masquerade was but on a bigger scale. So I went down to Huskies in Elephant and Castle. Walked past it a million times because it's some little side door so I was 15 min late than I had to be cause my Google Maps was saying I was here but I couldn't see it. It was sooo much fun. Caramel and Skytiles taught a house and popping routine and there were loads of girls but the vibe was nice. Only prob is the rehearsal dates are getting bumped up to 3 a week because there doing Collabo (Collabo is a show run by Avant Guarde dance company where two or more groups collaborate or a group has to interpret a set given to them). With MYSELF and writing it doesn't like it's happening so sadly I may not be going back.

MYSELF auditioned for Breakin Convention on Sunday. Breakin Convention is an annual show ran by Jonzi D at Sadler's Wells and they get dance crews from all over the world to perform. MYSELF has done it once before and we did the Breakin Convention tour so we felt pretty positive to do it. Kloe broke her foot in rehearsal so we had to re-piece the set but I felt that it went well. We did the Janelle Monae set (YouTube it) and it's a real feel good set so we'll find out in 2 weeks. As I was talking to Nadz about Project G, Tanya ran up the stairs panting.
“Bear, I'm so embarrassed,” she said.
“What's up?”
“Well I was going to get Pink Friday out of my car for you and I thought I saw you so I ran up to the person, slapped them hard on the bum and said 'Stop stalking me you f***ing bitch' but the person turned round it was a stranger and I apologised and ran.”
 looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
We saw another girl crew wearing our exact costume we wore to UDO'S and they were there too but they wore there's on Got to Dance. The same varsity jackets, jeans and I love but with their group name, even though everyone knows I love Myself is our slogan. Not cool!!

Fergie's better, thanks! I got a lovely V day chocolates at work, which was sweet. Also lovin' Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday album if you ain't heard it. Get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for