Skip to main content

Who knows what kind of hood rat I would of evolved into?

After all the stress of 2 cancellations the launch party was a SUCCESS! Woop Woop, praise God! It went so well, I honestly couldn't of asked for better. The Lil' Rascals and MYSELF were fab, all my books sold out (even the ones pre-paid for. Oops!) and the party was great. I can even ignore the dance battle that happened towards the end! Chloe Lillington won the Warrior Challenge Comp. She's only 9 and amazing. Thank God, for my parents, Naomi and Steph who helped so much in pulling it together. Steph's deco was so pretty, upgraded the party by miles. The only scary thing was the reading. The way I was trying to delay it because I was so nervous but it was very cool with the kids sitting down, all having their own copies of the book reading with me. I actually couldn't look at anyone until I finished, my throat was so dry, I thought I would have a coughing fit but everyone said it was good. Hopefully should get the pictures and some footage soon so ya'll can have a look. It's funny how much prep it took, yet I was running around so much, talking to everyone, signing books and pictures and then when I finally could relax there was only ten min left of party but it was good a ten min. Never trust a day when you have a big event and everything is running smoothly, me and Naomi, bless us, were so relaxed picking all the food up then BAM we didn't have enough time to get ready BAM my dress that was made for me was too big and BAM the taxi came and I was still in my underwear. Chelsea and Anita tried to pin me into the dress but it was a compete flop and the clock was coming towards 7 when the doors would open. I didn't really have much of choice, Steph had to abandon her decoration duties and drive me home, questioning me in the car with what I was going to wear. Of course, I never had a back up dress. I thought of the amazing skirt I had brought from H&M for the Labels fashion show, which I didn't wear in the end but with what top? She stopped the car on my road and I sprinted to my front door, opening it just as my family, all dressed up, was leaving. Mum was trying to ask me what I was doing here, when I ran up the stairs, threw of the dress and found a sequin black top and black blazer to go with the colourful print skirt, which I quickly put on and ran back down the stairs, reassuring my family that everything was fine and dashed back to Steph's car. We made it back in 15 minutes. I was impressed that everyone was actually on time to the event, give or take. Some people came at the end when we were literally clearing up. I have no words.

Emily Knight seems to be doing pretty well at the minute. People are becoming more aware of it and are saying great things. I just need to get this campaign going asap. I've been asked to be a blogger for Brit Writers AND join a panel at my old uni for a discussion on digital publishing. Very excited about this! Awaiting news to see where Emily will be stocked in bookstores. Eek! Hopefully it's good news.

Emily Knight facebook page has gone from 1,444 likes to.....2,866!!! Thank you gorgeous people for liking -  don't unlike now! My aim is to get 10,000 likes by December. Yes I do know it's in 2 months but a girl can dream right?

I've almost finished The Hunger Games trilogy. I love, love, love it. Quite surprised how similar Katniss and Emily are, great minds eh Ms Collins? Strong female lead characters is what the world needs, I wish I read Hunger Games when I was a kid. Children are so lucky with the diversity they get in books now - there's still more diversity to be done but it's in a pretty good place.

I've had a break from doing Dance as I've been trying to complete Emily Knight 2 by Christmas. I do have a title but that's for another blog. But I'm hoping to do a bit more dance in November. Teaching dance everyday (apart from Saturday) is super challenging but when I think back to being in Monsoon Accessorize, I realise how grateful I am to be in the position I'm in. How many people at 24 years old can say they earn a living doing the two things they love?

MYSELF held auditions for the youth company ME.I, now all females and boy was I blown away, so many strong dancers. I'm so excited to see what they do on this UK scene. I predict a lot of FIRE! Aleta came up with a great logo for them as the I LOVE ME.I one flopped - it's ME. I LOVE UK DANCE. Get it? And imagine the love as Union Jack Love Heart. Very cool.

It was Nick Adam's leaving St Mary's show and wow. We went out with a BANG! I really do forget how amazingly talented people are and St Mary's was over bursting with it. It was amazing seeing all the old faces again, I felt like I was 15. It was especially cool dancing with my very first crew Poison Ivy. When I got the facebook message, I almost dropped my phone. I was at first a bit hesitant but then I thought screw it, it will be a laugh and it really was. It was a great send off for a great man and I'm so happy my childhood into teen years were spent at St Marys. If it wasn't for Nick I wouldn't be teaching dance and have travelled around America and Jamaica. Who knows what kind of hood rat I would of evolved into. So thank you Nick. Living Legend.

Driving through Chingford, my driving instructor Costas goes, 'Are you feeling okay?'
'Yeah, why?' I said.
'Because you're driving really good!'
Haha everyone is a comedian.

Mum caught Fergie chasing a fox......yeah, I don't know what to say either.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for