Skip to main content

"You Ain't Got The Answer, Sway!"

Hey all! First blog of 2016. Holla!!

Let's start of by saying it is a brand new year guys! We made it!!! So let this year be the best one EVER. I have met so many Scrooges already this year and I'm like don't kill my vibe. I am on going to the next level and it's fine if no-one else wants too, just don't rain on my parade because the parade is nice.

Sooooo I have started a vlog! Yay! Basically my friends were like, you should start one. They're so popular and you do blogs so just do the same thing on video. I was a bit unsure because I associate vlogs with beauty, hair and fitness. I was thinking what can I talk about out but tbh I'll talk about whatever! I mean, that's what I do here and I get hits, so I guess people like my random crap. My first one is about self & traditionally published books. Of course Fergie had to get involved and tried to kick me on camera lool. Have a look and subscribe and like on link below. I filmed on my mac because I ain't got no money to be buying camera's (not yet anyway) I did a trial run with natural light a few days before I filmed and it looked really good but the day I actually did the filming, day light wasn't that great so I had to re-film with lamps.

Abiola VLOG


The Author School April 11th class is selling so well. I am so happy about this. Lowering the price and having a free networking event was a brilliant idea. This new venue is so sick and we have already sold a quarter of the tickets. Ahhhhhh!!

I won a Byron Burger ticket. So every Thursday, I can get a burger and another free. It's only for this month. I have already gone once and should be going this week and next week too. I'll do an extra workout, I promise.

I went to this legs, bums and tums class at my gym. Oh gosh. I literally couldn't move. I mean at the time, I was fine but when I got home, my stomach and my bum was in agony. I couldn't even laugh because my muscles were hurting and I stupidly did it before I was going to teach. I couldn't even bend down. Was a hot mess.

New Years Eve, I always go to church so I was ready to get turnt a few days later. Aleta said, "Let's go to this club called Visions in Dalston." Now, I don't hang around Dalston like that. I go Dalston to buy hair and hair scrunchies and that's it. But apparently it's super cheap and really good 90's music. The day we were going to go, they posted on their Instagram that they were closed, which was annoying. So we went the next day. We went to this restaurant on Upper Street, called Mez and Laz or something like that, that Keisha took me too. Now, I knew this restaurant was big but my goodness it was huge! It reminded me of when I went Paris for my bday with Naomi and Chelsea and we found this restaurant that looked alright from the outside but once you went in, it was grand, with chandeliers and just plain gorgeous. That's what it was like here (less grand though, I mean it ain't Paris). I told them to order the chicken wings meal cause that's what I had with Keisha and they loved it. They seriously have no faith in me. I told them that it was great, I just happened to forget where it was for a few minutes. Funnily enough, when I left, Keisha was there also eating chicken wings lool.
Then we went to Visions. It was closed. So we went for a walk and then this random guy starts walking with us and is like, "Where are you going? How old are you lot?"  It was all very odd until he said that he thought I was 23 and then I was cool with him. Then we walked past this club and the security said,  "Come inside, get a stamp, it's free." And it was a club called Birthdays.
It was empty when we went in but the music was banging. I was having a ball. Then Alisha had some free drink passes, so I was having a great time. Of course, the ratchet Dalston crew come through and these boys would not back up. One even tried to rap to me, the most inappropriate lyrics. Then those silly girls wearing the over tight dresses start grinding on you because they're in your personal space and when you try to tell them, they have an attitude. It got so packed that Aleta walked about six steps to the bar, got a drink, it spilt because one big ass girl was backing it up. I was like it's time to go. Good night though.

When kids say they don't know who Missy Elliot is *shakes head*

The Oscars. The fact Straight Outta Compton was ignored and no Black or Asian people were nominated. I think is disgusting.

At least Taraji got a Golden Globe for playing Cookie. Her speech and Leo Dicaprio's was amazing.

I watched the best Kanye West Interview with Sway. Oh Kanye. He is the most hilarious person. You need to watch it because there were so many amazing moments of things that he said, that can't be replicated. Such as
1. No-one knows your clothing label
2. You ain't got the answer, Sway!
3. I haven't changed since I was zero years old
4. I am Shakespeare and Warhol.
I mean it's just brilliant. He did say some very intelligent things but these one liners were too much for me.


There is an ethnic literary festival starting up called Bare. The thing is I don't really like when things are separate. I would rather there was a lit festival for all races but what I have come to realise is alot of people don't want that. It's so sad that racism is so active and people just can't open their minds and get it together. I never thought the publishing industry was like that but as you can see, it is. As much as I don't like to be in a box, with this author life, people do try too keep you in one and it's irritating. I have submitted to some lit festivals. There is one in my area and I'm thinking, why am I not part of this?  I am not playing this year. No-one is putting me in a box. My mouth is way too big lool


Celebrity Big Brother with the David mix up. If you don't know, you need to know. It was too funny for words. Tiffany is TV gold.

R.I.P David Bowie and Alan Rickman

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, We Heart It, Youtube and of course this blog either with Emily Knight I AM or Abiola Bello or both!

If you haven't read my first book *shakes head in disappointment* purchase on Amazon or any online retailers including Google Play and iBook as a paperback, hardback or ebook - Emily Knight I AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for