Skip to main content

It finally happened!!!!!!!!!

On April 11th, Helen and I ran The Author School Day - The London Book Fair Special and it was fantastic!! The venue, the speakers, the authors. I had the best time and I am so proud of us for pulling it together. I wish we could do it every month - it literally is that fun. We have had the best feedback and we were live tweeting from 11am all the way to 6pm. Twitter was going off and I'm sure we inspired authors out there who couldn't make it. I think we have defo proved that we are the real deal! We are going to be doing our next one in London in September so make sure you're there. You won't regret it, I promise! Our next challenge is to get this online course up and running and hopefully run an Author School Day in another city.


I was trying to think of ways to get some new art work for Emily Knight, just for promotion and I thought, how cool it would be if if I could do a collaboration with artists. So I hollered at two illustrators. One I have worked with before and her stuff is gorgeous and thankfully they agreed to do a collabo with me. I can't wait to see the pics!



Rob and Blac Chyna. I am obsessed.

My iPod that I had for 6 months, that I got exchanged (last blog post) and this is the THIRD one I got and it broke after ONE WEEK! Can you believe it? And I could tell that Apple were getting a bit suspicious but seriously why would I break my own iPod that I need for work? Also, anyone that has got to go to Apple knows that when you book an appointment, you're seen like forty minutes later - why would I want that? Thankfully they swapped it again and so far so good. Hopefully it can do it's job and last for years.

I got so ill a few weeks back. I don't think I have been that ill for about 4/5 years. It was so bad I had to go hospital because my chest tightened up and I wasn't breathing properly and then I waited hours and hours to be seen, it was a crazy night. I missed about a week of work and barley ate but thankfully I'm better. 

You're probably thinking, okay what finally happened? Are you ready for it? I got offered a 3 book deal!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! How crazy? I literally was going to sign the contracts from the self publishing company and this traditional publishing company liked something of mine on Instagram (see authors this is why you use social media!) and I wondered who they were, so I checked them out. They were a new publishing company and I just sent through a submission to see if I would get a response. They did and asked to read the manuscript - this was for Emily book 2. Then they asked to read book 1 and my pop up blogs Rose and Lox and then they requested a meeting. The meeting was fab. They were enthusiastic and really great ideas and they offered me a deal! It went from a deal for 2 books to 3 because I said Emily is a trilogy and gave an outline of what I wanted it to be about. I guess they could see the potential. They sent me a book proposal and my contract is in the post.

Those that have followed this blog from the beginning know that I have been wanting this for years and years. It's funny cause when I realised it was a reality, I got a bit of cold feet. I've worked on Emily for years. She literally is my baby and to give her to someone and trust them to do good was very scary. But I prayed ALOT, went though everything with them, spoke to a lawyer that works in publishing and all is good to go. The best feeling was telling my family. OMG they were so happy and then sharing that with The Author School was great because it will inspire someone to just keep going. So they are going to re-release book 1 with a new cover art, making the old one a 'limited edition.' How fancy! Release book 2, hopefully next year. I am so excited and ready for this new journey. Bring on the movie deals.

I did a great podcast with Paul Teague about my book journey. It's available on the 2nd May. There's a few interviews uploaded already and they are awesome, so have a listen.
Janet Jackson cancelled her tour! Can you believe it? O2 didn't even email me, my friend told me and I called them to ask if it was true and then got my refund when they confirmed. Then I saw a video on Facebook of her saying that she wants a baby, which is great but didn't you plan this tour?

Can we take a second for Lemonade. I mean, why is Beyonce so epic? That album is just so cool and Jay Z just found his 100th problem. I love it! I love how pro-female, pro-black - she is just killing it all over the place. I know all females are going to go buy their 'hot sauce' and warn their guys lool. Every time I think she can't top herself, she does. She is defo on her way to 'legend' status. So excited for the concert! 

Batman vs Superman. I liked it. Come in it's BATMAN AND SUPERMAN. It doesn't need to be a deep film!

R.I.P Prince. What an amazing talent. 

Competition time for any young authors -under 21. Check out this short story comp that ends April 30th - THIS SATURDAY. Theme is Diversity and there are some great prizes to be won! For more info and to enter go to thelilauthorskool.com Good luck!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for