Skip to main content

And I shout back in the most uncool way, “You're so gorgeous!”


Thanks to those who read my last blog about diversity in publishing. I know it was a more 'serious' tone than my usual blogs but it's a conversation that needs way more action and me and Helen had to get that of our chests.

Now....I am 30 on Monday! I literally can't deal. I won't be in my 20's anymore. I am excited about my Wakanda themed birthday party on Saturday, although I have no idea what I'm doing for my actual birthday on Monday but even planning this party has got me exhausted. My skirt that was made for me was too poofy and then the designer was trying to argue with me that it was fine! Err what? Got it amended and then had to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a strapless bra because the bigger the boobs, the more expensive a bra is, which really sucks. A great present would be money and lots of it!

I know alot of people hated their 20's but I LOVED my 20's. I admit it started off pretty shit. I was in a bad relationship for years, crap jobs, no money even though I was working like a beast and I felt like I had all these big dreams and was waiting for someone to help me. I mean you can see it all in my blogs. As soon as I started making my own moves and just trusting God, everything worked out and is only getting better. This month alone I had a meeting with a DIRECTOR at HARPERCOLLINS! I had to write that in caps because it's so epic. It was a fab meeting and I was even offered a job. Get in! And I've been talking to Malorie Blackman on LinkedIn.
I got to go to Google HQ to the Precious Lifestyle Awards. Google HQ is amazing by the way. Helen was presenting the best book award. It was such a great night, seeing such young talent. One girl who won best skincare started her business during uni. My kind of girl.

I tweeted that my book Beats, Love and high top trainers is a new commercial YA book WITH diverse characters on the back of the CLPE report and I had publishers DM me for it. Let's see who actually wants a diverse book, rather than just being seen talking about it. I made some visuals for my new dance world, just to give a better insight. Have a look here

The Knights Part 1 is OUT NOW!!!!!! YAY!! www.emilyknightwarriors.blogspot.co.uk 
And my birthday giveaway is back. I am giving away 3 signed copies of  Emily Knight I am...Awakened to give away if you follow me on the gram or Twitter and like or RT this gorgeous  post below


I was given free access to Comic Con and took my cousin Toyin. First of all Comic Con is so dope. They had old school Game Boys, a crazy amount of Anime, YALC was upstairs and I have no idea why I wasn't part of that! Defo needs to be amended for next year but the highlight was Jason Momoa aka Khal bloody Drogo aka AquaMan was there. He is the sole reason I watched Game of Thrones. When he appeared on the horse I was like 'Who is this Adonis?'
I was determined to meet him even though you had to pay £75 for the privilege. We found the floor he was on and there was other celebs like Game of Thrones actors - The Night King was there! WWE wrestlers. Apparently Mark Henry had no one come up to him. I would have! I love Mark Henry! I made friends with one of the staff who had a table near to where Jason was going to be sitting. So here I am talking away to her and he walks in the room. When I tell you I froze. I have never in my entire life seen a man so beautiful. The girl was telling me to film and I just couldn't move.  That was my first opportunity gone. Toyin and I walked to the other side of the room but we couldn't get a good view and then we had this super annoying worker telling us to 'stay back!' In the end I thought fuck it and I pushed through the line, got a video and a picture and had all these workers telling me 'You can't film!' I turned around and smiled and said, 'I got it thanks.' Ha! Then he was doing a photo session with fans so we figured if we wait at a particular spot, we will see him. We waited for about an hour and then I had to go toilet. As I get to the toilet, he is right infront of me! Again I bloody freeze and he goes to the disabled toilet. I tried to think of an excuse to wait for the disabled toilet but his security were like, “The ladies is over there.“ I tried to pee quick but he was gone. Damn it! We continue to wait and then he starts to walk towards us. I have no idea why this time I didn't freeze but I managed to film him and he sees me and says hi to me! And I shout back in the most uncool way, “You're so gorgeous!” Video on my Instagram @abiolabello

Is it just me or did Travis Scott seem to not know that much about Kylie Jenner in the GQ interview? They are very cute in a strange way though.

July was officially festival season. I went to Wireless Festival and British Summer Time. First of all the contrast was a joke. Wireless was a joke. It was so disappointing. It was like every hood boy and thirsty girl came out. People were throwing drinks at each other, blatantly  selling drugs (and always next to me). A girl had a bottle thrown at her head. Anneliese and I couldn't even go to the front because of the amount of drinks flying around. That has never happened at Wireless before. Stormzy, French Montana (when he sang Unforgettable, I was living my best life), Rae Sremmurd were amazing. It was a bit of a piss take when they stopped the festival to show the England match. 2 hours sitting in the sun was not fun and Wireless didn't allow any water in but then they ran out of ice and water. So dumb. We found these slushy machines but it was so hot, the ice kept melting. Then Sunday morning, I see on the Wireless app that DJ Khaled is not attending due to 'travel issues.' DJ Khaled is the only reason I was going on Sunday so I'm super pissed. The worst is that Wireless are tweeting we have a surprise for everyone like we should all be happy or something. The whole day was weird because you can tell everyone was anxious to know who it was going to be. The only person we all wanted was Drake and apparently he was coming out for Gigg's set anyway. I love Drake but I have seen him live about 3 times and I really wanted to see DJ Khaled. So I'm checking the app and the headline act was 9-10.30pm. This changed to 9-10pm then from 9-9.30pm. The legit piss take. I felt bad for Giggs because he was amazing but he was the act before the headliner and we just wanted to know who is coming. Then this sheet falls down with an owl with a Union Jack wing. I have never been so excited to see a person in my life! Drake's album just dropped and everyone was hyped about it anyway. Drake says on the mic that he was coming for Giggs set and was asked to fill in but they had a time restraint on the stage so it would be a little concert. He was epic for 20 minutes. I am so done with this ratchet festival. Just went completely downhill and not worth the effort I put in hustling for tickets. Even Migos looked offended to be there. So random but Madonna was there!
Then the next day Wireless tweet that they knew all along that DJ Khaled wasn't coming because of his filming for The Four and they 'hoped' he could make it. So now these fools are saying that they were falsely advertising and I bet you DJ Khaled was going to sue them unless they said something because the amount of abuse he got wasn't even funny as his Instagram showed he was on holiday. They didn't replace Cardi B when she got pregnant or J Hus when he went to jail and then gave us Drake for 20 min rather than DJ Khaled for an 1hour and 30 min. I advise everyone to not go. So not worth it.
I wasn't excited to go to BST Festival the weekend after because I just assumed it would be as shit as Wireless. When I tell you it was polar opposites. It was calm, there was a beautiful vibe, amazing food stalls, nice toilets, they even had a McFlurry van! No one was throwing drinks. The only downside is I didn't know any of the acts apart from Khalid but Bruno Mars was AMAZING! I mean just goals. He danced and sang for 2 hours and was flawless. One of the best concerts I have ever been too. All videos are in my 'Summer Vibes' highlights on Instagram.

Kendrick Lamar in Power is the best thing ever!

The heatwave was so gorgeous and I was excited to go to the beach so imagine when I found out that the weather was going to be awful. If I didn't have to watch Milani I would have cancelled. We got to Bournemouth and the wind was so strong, we couldn't even put our towels down. The lifeguards was telling us not to go in the water and I'm thinking who is going in the water? Then I see Jaeden and Zoe fully swimming lol. We got caught in a mini storm twice and Milani is there trying to eat her ice-cream as it's raining when we legit can't see. Thank God we left early but then I got ill because of sitting in the cold. Fantastic.

I went to the X-Factor auditions. It wasn't as grand as I thought it was going to be. Much smaller than it looks on TV and not sure about these new judges. There was a lady that auditioned who had originally sang the Toys R Us theme tune! And this amazing guy that did Opera. I think I may be on TV though as they asked me to film backstage.

We ran our first ever An afternoon with The Author School and SOLD OUT! Our next event is Cocktails and Conversations on Sept 21st which includes a convo over drinks - duh and a 121. Book at www.theauthorschool.com

I started PT sessions at my gym.  First of all my PT is stunning, like seriously hot. At first I was thinking  is this smart? Will I be able to focus? But thankfully I can. Zarah was like 'How can you sweat in front of him' LOL. He is so tough. The other day I said, “Can you just leave me alone?” He laughed and said, “Stop being so negative. Give me 20 more.“ Oh my life!

So far a pretty good summer :) and I think I'm going to get another tattoo for my birthday.

Tip to writers: Promote more diversity in your books. Have characters from a range of backgrounds as the main characters not just in the background. As much as I love to blame the publishers for the lack of diversity, it's also the writers responsibility as well.

Don't forget to follow me @abiolabello @emilyknightiam
www.a-bello.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for