Skip to main content

She came back and I said, “He's in his thirties, single and from Nigeria. He's the one.”


Summer is officially over! Oh I had the best summer with the best weather.  Now, the weather is starting to get a bit chilly but still warmer than usual. I'm praying that our winter is not super cold.

Can you believe it's been a year since my second baby Emily Knight I am...Awakened was released? I just feel so grateful that people have brought my book, taken the time to leave a review for me or even just said something kind to me. I feel so happy!! One of the winners of the Birthday Giveaway told me her daughter took the book from her before she could read it and loved it. That really made me smile.  I finally have figured out book 3. I was getting so annoyed because I know how the saga ends but there's a whole bunch of other stuff that needs to happen, to lead up to the finale. Basically I was doing the most and just needed to calm it all the way down, so I think 4 books is in order. Unless my brain has other ideas. It's so hard with book 3 because you just want it to be better than the other two and then you start putting all of this silly expectations on yourself. Girl breath! Helen is reppin' me at Frankfurt so now I can actually write a synopsis that makes sense. Now, I just need a title!


Beats, Love and high top trainers is making the rounds of the publishers, which is exciting. I really love this book and I can't wait to see it in print. Just praying for it to end up in the right hands.

Planning The Author School full day on November 12th. We have some heavy weight speakers like Aimee Felone (Knights Of), literary agent Ella Kahn, and you can pitch your book to her! Toyin Ayinde (book to film) and our author panel Phoebe Morgan, Dominic Selwood and Siobhan Curham. and I can't wait for it. I think this is our 8th day at The Author School! If you need help/advice with a book, come along! And it's not expensive which is a bonus, right? You can see all the speakers here and as usual it will be an epic day www.theauthorschool.com 
I just love how diverse this pic is!

You know what I figured out?  I can't talk to just one person about everything. When I was a teenager, I had 2 friends who I told everything too but now that I'm older, I'm finding that friends are good for different things and it's okay. This friend is good to talk to about career things, this one is good for relationships, this one is good to discuss faith etc and I'm now fine with that. Rather than get offended or annoyed that someone doesn't understand you or trying to force their thoughts on you, it's just good to access who you feel more comfortable talking too about certain topics.

Melissa took me to see a play called MISTY for my birthday (Yes I am still celebrating). Now I have never heard of this show before and wasn't sure what to expect but when I tell you the show is AMAZING! It's pretty much a one man show but the talent of Arinze Kene is just on another level. First of all he is beautiful and he can sing, dance, act, write. There was so much depth in the play. When it was the interval, I did my research whilst Melissa went to get an ice-cream. She came back and I said, “He's in his thirties, single and from Nigeria. He's the one.”
Melissa was like, “I literally just went to get an ice-cream. How did you find all this out?!” Now I'm like Lord - hook a girl up!


I also went to see Kevin Hart (another bday prez). It was really funny but they have this rule at his shows where you can't film or take pictures or they kick you out. At his last tour, at the end of the show you can then take pictures. But at this tour as soon as the show was done, he was like “Bye London” and was gone! I went up to the security and asked, “Why did he go so fast?” And he tells me, “Yesterday he was on stage for an extra hour taking pictures.” I am so done.

I took Aleta to BBC 1XTRA live for her birthday. I was so excited to see Ella Mai and my girl did only 2 songs! I was fuming. Chance The Rapper headlined it and honestly he could have been in a  room by himself. That's how underwhelming he was. Which is weird because his album is so good.

A group of us from church went to Thorpe Park at the beginning of September. It was so hot! I was fully not dressed for the occasion. We went on their new ride, The Walking Dead. OMG! It is so sick. At the end of the roller coaster, you have to find your way out of the building and everyone was getting so scared because the zombies come out from nowhere so me and Ebru ended up being at the front. I'm thinking we've got this. So we're running down this long corridor and all we see are these group of zombies at the end of the corridor. The way we tried to run back! Literally pushing everyone. Some random guy shouts at us, “We have to move forward.” Easy to say when you're at the back! I literally closed my eyes, let out a war cry and charged forward. Turned out to be these group of kids who were tying to scare us!

I was at Piccadilly Waterstones a few weeks ago and saw HASHTAG PRESS BOOKS on the shelves!! I was trying to be so cool but I wanted to scream. If people knew how much me and Helen have been trying to get our books in the branch. I know they are in others but we wanted the flagship, so to see them on the shelves was just the best. I went home and legit cried. I can't even believe that Hashtag Press has only been trading for a year. God is so good! I'm just so exited to see what the future holds for our tiny publishing house.

Follow me on Instagram @abiolabello and Twitter @EmilyKnightIAM




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for