Skip to main content

Guys I was like no not my type I was still trying to be nice. Why? Why am I doing that?


We are officially in July. That means summer, summer, summer time (but it's London sooo....) and it also means my birthday is next month and 31 is looming closer and closer. Going from the best Wakanda themed 30th birthday party to now turning 31, which is just a blah age, I honestly don't know what to do. I was thinking of a day trip to Paris but the tickets went from £80 to £150 pretty much overnight which is some next joke. So I don't know whether to try another city or just do some fun stuff in London. Oh Paris would have been the best. I wanted to go to that Cuban restaurant again!

This week has been a really good one. Hashtag BLAK officially launched on July 1st to do the best responses. I can't even believe that I have an inclusive publishing house! I just feel so damn proud that I'm actively making a differennce in publishing and will hopefully affect the shit statistics coming out. Merky Books (Stormzy's imprint) wished us congrats, which was really cool. I'm actually more impressed with his imprint than I was when it first was announced. He is publishing some really cool books. Hat's off to him. I'm hoping we get some good submissions from Black British authors. We're actually doing an open pitch day on July 22nd from 11-4 so if you write adult/YA fiction come and speak to us. More info here https://www.hashtagblak.co.uk/open-pitch-day


Emily Knight has been doing your girl so proud. We only just won London's Big Read 2019! Woo hoo! My parents sent me the nicest message and so did Leanne—which made me cry!
What's so funny is when the second book came out, I really wanted it to come out like POW! My media list for who wanted the book was out of the world and I remember thinking okay this is it. Did I even get anything from that media list? Maybe a few things and I was so pissed off. Now the book is consistently selling— even sold in Dubai! Nominated for the Carnegie 2019 and now winner of London's Big Read 2019. I hope book 3 does even better.



Look at this review What's Not At School book reviewer gave me for my books. I love this kid. She's a 10 year old book blogger and is just brilliant really.
https://whatsnotatschool.com/2019/07/07/emily-knight-by-the-night-light/

Really trying to get through my second read through off book 3 before it goes to editing. I feel like I'm moving so bloody slow. I made a timetable, so hopefully if I stick to that I should be able to balance my book, The Author School, The Lil'Author Skool, Hashtag Press, Hashtag BLAK and all the other stuff I seem to do, without having a breakdown of some kind.

Can we take a minute for Curtis from Love Island please? How can he say to the girl he has been kissing for weeks - I can't see myself having kids or marrying you. When Amy kept asking for feedback, I was like no baby stop! It's always the quiet guys that pretend to be what you want. This is my issue with guys. They are honestly my least favourite things on the planet at the moment. I watch Love Island and I think this is why girls are a) single and b) crazy because of them! I tried a dating app for a week. I'm not into dating apps but I thought let me open minded as I help out my mate do research on dating apps. It wasn't terrible. I got more responses than I knew what to do with and I'm too nice. Guys I was like no not my type I was still trying to be nice. Why? Why am I doing that? The stand outs were—I matched with a guy who was married with 2 kids but wanted to get to know me, I matched with a guy who asked me to send a video of me twerking, I matched with a guy who I know from college who doesn't remember me and who's best friend was obsessed with me. This isn't even including the weirdos's who have no game, no conversation and I sit here and think what the hell is the point? I deactivated my account on Friday. Just useless. THEN dealing with men in business has also been another level of dumb. One I won't get into yet cause I'm coming for his ass but the other tried to invoice me for re-sending me artwork that I had already paid for. He tried to justify it by saying he had to search through his archives for it. Is he actually okay?? Do I have mug or dumb mug written on me? Honestly the weirdest people.

Not My Ariel was trending on Twitter. Don't these racists get tired?

Helen finally got me to Kent lol. I went down to where she lives and it was so pretty. First of all the fact that she lives with all of these fields does kind of make me look at her sideways lol but she took me to this cool farm like cafe place. The food was incredible, then to some woodlands where her kids got stung by stinging nettles but we saw lots of sheep and randomly doves before going to another place for food. It was actually very relaxing and the best way to celebrate the launch of Hashtag BLAK. I might even go down again if she's lucky.

I got fomo missing out on Wireless this year. I really hope Cardi B does an O2 tour but did you see her wig come off?! And now J Hus has been added. So basically the people I paid to see last year (Cardi was pregnant, J Hus was in jail) are all here this year. Stupid festival.

My mum looked so proud watching me watch Wimbledon. You know how she wanted me to be a tennis player (rolls eyes) so I think any interest in the game makes me happy. I've been loving it! Serena is obviously the OG but that doubles with her and Andy Murray was such a good match. COCO!!!!!! I am in awe of that girl.

I went to Ebru's school to do their Mini WE day. Listen I had to get up at 6am! When I tell you my eyes were red and hurting for the longest time. I can't eat early so we pulled over at a service station and I brought a sausage roll and the meat tasted very suspicious although the crust was delicious. I felt so sick after that. Met an incredible guy who is a motivational speaker and he has died 12 times! I also learnt that Helen and I were charging way too little for our speaking events so that fee went all the way up. I'm not sure why I didn't send over my school presentation that I have. Everyone had a presentation! So I just winged it. I get nervous when I do that sometimes cause I get worried I'll say something inappropriate. I do remember asking who likes David Walliams books and everyone put their hands up and I responded, “Yeah, he's making a pretty penny out of you lot.” Which is just facts really.  After lunch provided with the school, I decided to shadow Ebz because the visit had overran and we were in the middle of nowhere. It was Hillingdon. Plus the kids were doing Lion King and I know all the words. When we left, we literally threw KFC in our faces and as soon as I got home, I took a lengthy nap. I was so mashed up. I did shudder thinking she was up again at 6am the next day.

Stranger Things 3 was sooooo worth the wait. Where have they been hiding Erica all these seasons??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for