Skip to main content

The Birthday Blog!


How has a year gone by so quick? Last year I was in Wakanda for my 30th and now I'm 31. I'm trying not to moan too much about it cause every time I say, “Uh! I'm 31!” I get a side eye from people older than me. At least all the kids keep telling me that I look 24. It's what a girl needs to hear!

For the first time, I think in years, I was so not excited for my birthday. The weather was on a mad one. It was either crazy hot or raining. What is the point of being born in August if you don't get guaranteed good weather? Luckily I have amazing people who planned the best stuff. Aleta and Alisha started it off first with taking me to this super gorgeous cake place in S. Kensington. The cake was everything!
On my actual birthday (6th) Helen and I went to Lille. See we were meant to go to Paris but the price doubled a few days after we decided to go. I had never been to Lille so I didn't mind going.
Helen brought a whole feast on the Eurostar including a birthday balloon which literally kept hitting my face at every opportunity!
It was actually such a cute city. I mean French food is always on point. I had this desert that had some form of invisible fire on it and had so much alcohol. I didn't realise that he was pouring alcohol. I thought it was syrup or something so I was like put more on. Helen kept looking at me like err this girl doesn't even drink. We were meant to go to the zoo and a fair after lunch but it was closed. Everything closes on Tuesday in Lille! We ended up finding my spiritual home—a Dragonball Z store! Then we thought let's get a city bus to see the city! We found the tourist shop and went in to book—it was all sold out! I asked the lady what is there to do here? She told us to go to some place in the middle of the city, so we started walking and then saw these bike people. We ended up getting a whole tour of the entire city on a bike! We even saw a gorgeous waterfall. We passed the city bus and thought it would be like how it is in  London with the top of but it literally looked like a coach. How pissed would we have been?
I ended up giving my balloon to the most beautiful toddler at the park - plus the balloon was becoming a liability. I swear little kids speaking French is the cutest thing. During the tour, we saw a bubble tea place! Of course we went back there before going for dinner and getting some champagne. This girl was on the table next to us and she said, ”Excuse moi,” so I thought she wanted to get past but she looked a bit nervous. Then she said, “Happy birthday.” It was so cute! All in all I had a great day with one of my favs in my fav country with gorgeous weather.

The next day Zarah took me to Junkyard golf in Shoreditch and she brought me cupcakes and truffles!!! I haven't had her truffles in soooooo long. I mean I did tell her if she comes with no truffles, our friendship is done. Golf was so jokes. Zarah literally kept hitting that ball everywhere but the hole or just missing it completely and I was in tears. Of course we ended up at Absurd and took bday shots with the manager.
The day after that I SAW HAMILTON!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I opened Anneliese's card. I mean how do you even get Hamilton tickets?? They're always sold out. My excitement was on another level of life and when I tell you the show is incredible. One of the best things I have seen on the West End. It's all in rap and r&b and it's just so perfect. I literally downloaded the soundtrack when I got home because it is really that good.

And I got a new car that is giving me Knight Rider vibes in terms of how tech and smart it is!
All in all my 31st birthday was amazing and I realised that I was focusing on all of the wrong things. I kept dwelling on the things that I didn't have and was magnifying it instead of just looking at my life which is pretty great and I am super thankful for it.

Talking of being thankful, I'm not gonna lie, I was feeling sooooo bored. And me being bored is never good cause that's when I just do dumb things. I just felt like God can we take it up a level please? Becareful what you wish for. I'll reveal more soon because I'm learning not too spill the beans on things prematurely but trust I'm not bored anymore!

The Youth Takeover show was AMAZING!!!! The week before the show, all the kids went on holiday or camp so there was some pieces for the show we couldn't go through properly. I was super calm and feeling fine and then maybe the day before the show at about 5pm, everyone was messaging me and suddenly I was stressed. On the actual day I felt like time just flew by and I wished we had more time but it went really well and I am so proud of them. My fav piece was the Reggaeton, which I knew would be good but it was actually sick. I really don't know any young people that work harder than they do. Until next year! To see videos go to @rccyouthldn Instagam

Our annual Thorpe Park trip happened the other day. We went from having 7 teens to 13 and I got stuck with the boys!! I love how hard boys act and yet on they Ghost Train they're literally grabbing me and screaming. How I broke it down on my social media is literally the best way to describe it

10 THINGS I LEARNT ABOUT TEENAGE BOYS.
1. They will kick a bin full of wasps in a long queue and try and push you towards them. They will find it funny.
2. They will wander and you will shout, "Boys!" ALL. DAY. 

3. They will refer to you as their other mum and not understand your side eye. What's wrong with big sister?!
4. They will scream like little girls on the rides and then act like it didn't happen.
5. They will square up to the zombies in Walking Dead and get told off...by the zombies 🤦🏾‍♀️
6. They will watch you drink your slushie and will ask over and over again, "Are you going to finish that?" You will get so annoyed that you give them the rest and then when you ask for a sip, they will cough and blow bubbles in the slushie so you won't drink it 😒
7. They will ask you to buy them everything and when you ask them to buy you something they will be confused.
8. They will make you shout, "Can you leave me alone for 5 minutes?!" 
9. They will have energy. ALL. DAY.
10. They will make you laugh all day long

Follow me on Twitter @emilyknightiam
Instagram @abiolabello



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for