Skip to main content

You have to protect your mind. Remember this will come to an end.



We are on week 2 of lockdown in London. Hoping everyone is doing okay! I work remotely so not much has changed for me. Walking down the road is a trip. It's literally a ghost town and finding toilet roll and pasta is like stumbling across a pot of gold. I miss seeing my mates, church and driving! I literally volunteer to go to the shops just so I can drive! The lockdown had to happen though. When I was driving to the shop I could see bare people in the park just laying down, sunbathing and me and everyone in the cars were just staring at them like wtf?! But despite all the crap the lockdown has made me very appreciative of my health, my family, that I have a garden to all least go for run in without people breathing on me. I am bored enough that I'm messing about with filters on Instagram. My uncle and cousins have natural blue eyes so it's defo my mum that ruined the gene.


The publishing world is slowly closing down and loads of books are being delayed. We haven't been affected yet except having to postpose The Author School full day, but Helen and I always have loads of ideas of how to overcome these challenges so hopefully our businesses won't be affected too much. If you want to buy a Hashtag Press book, best to order directly from us www.hashtagpress.co.uk or Waterstones online if they have it in stock.

Since being on lockdown it has given us time to actually put into place a lot of online content (we've been talking about doing it for years) and now we have the time to do it! Lots of FB live and IGTV and now we're putting our online course together so writers we've got you! We're also doing some story times and submission callouts for Hashtag. I actually don't love pics and videos but I'm slowly getting into it.  Use this time wisely to do something new. Not everyday Netflix :) and switch off the news and Twitter and anywhere where fear is manifesting. You have to protect your mind. Remember this will come to an end. Keep your faith and stay safe.


So I am self-employed and have been for over 10 years but I also have a limited company. Unfortunately that puts me in the 5% off people that the Government can't help. I know right. But this is how God is so good. Helen and I received Arts Council funding for Hashtag BLAK!! I'm so grateful that we are able to really build up that imprint into what we want it to be, especially in these very strange times AND we signed our first author!! More info soon but it's a YA book and I love it!

I was today years old when I realised that I was a millennial. I actually thought millennials were born in 2000 so the way I would cuss and be like these damn millennials are so lazy, so entitled and yeah I am part of them!

Who has been watching Noughts and Crosses on BBC1? I love how Nigerian it is! That book was actually the first book I had and for a long time with a black female main character. It's amazing how relevant the book is today. The racists came out on full force on Twitter lol. It's actually amazing that people can be so racist and yet not see it, like that is a skill in itself right?

Have you joined Tik Tok yet? I don't think I'm bored enough to do it yet but I did learn the JLo superbowl choreography which I was proud of myself for. I love the Tiki's Tok's with families dancing on it. I might have to persuade my family to do one. Now that will be worth getting an account for.

Good Girls on Netflix is sooooo good.

Before the lockdown happened, I wanted to get some hand weights. My family laughed at me for wanting to get it and I explained that the gyms would defo close at some point and I wanted to be able to work out. So I ordered some from Argos but for some reason it delivered to Sainsbury's. I went to Sainsbury's who were stocked up! So of course I had to do a shop as I was waiting for them to get my weights. When I tell you they couldn't even carry the weights. Here I am with 2 bags of shopping, weights I can't hold and then the cashier says, “Do you need toilet roll?”
Me: Oh yes you have some?
Cashier: In 10 minutes we will
That's when I notice that the delivery truck is there and about fifteen people in the store with no shopping just waiting for toilet roll! In the end I had to order a Bolt to get my shopping home. The driver carried the weights. The gym closed the next day. Now my family are asking me if they can use my weights. Typical.

Remember to vote for Emily Knight I am...Awakened to win 'Best Children's book' for The People's Book Prize

Follow me on Instagram @abiolabello
Twitter @emilyknightiam
30% off Emily Knight I am...Awakened till April 15th 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the words of Carrie Bradshaw and just like that I was a YA author

It feels like the right time but this will be my last entry. I know! I've been writing in this blog for TEN YEARS but this year it just felt off. I couldn't pinpoint why that was but the other day I realised I started this blog because I was a dancer who was trying to understand the publishing world. I also was so scared of anyone reading my work hence why I started a blog. Ten years later I have fulfilled my goals! Back in May I had finished my first YA book, a love story based around a Black owned bookshop in Stoke Newington. How I wrote this book when I was heartbroken I have no idea. I vaguely remember sitting on the couch with headphones on playing O Holy Night on repeat at 3am writing. I made my deadline and I wasn't sure if the book was good. My first round of submission for another book had very conflicting feedback and honestly I didn't have it in me to experience that again. I just wanted a deal. Fast forward to September 21st and my book was sent on submissio

I have a new book out!

That's right book 4 is out! This is my first anthology and it's absolutely gorgeous. I was asked to be part of The Very Merry Murder Club maybe a few weeks after my dad and I remember just thinking why is this opportunity coming now?! And it's with Farshore and imprint of HarperCollins. There's no way I can do it. I literally couldn't write. My agent Gemma spoke to me and the editors knew what had happened to me so it was really up to me. I prayed on it and God said to me you're not going to feel this way in October so I said yes. I won't lie I was worried that I really couldn't write this book but thank God for his strength and amazing agent and now it's here!  I've been ill all week but I saw loads of pic on social and my copy hasn't come yet so I dragged myself to Waterstones Islington to take pics of the book on the shelves. The booksellers were looking at me like are you going to buy this book. HA!  The amazing thing is I have even more

My meal was £22 and it was so small I ate it in 3 mouthfuls.

Happy World Afro Day! I had no idea this was even a day so yes for us! How gorgeous is this? I can't remember what country it's in but I saw it some weeks ago on Twitter. Getting into the swing of writing these blogs is harder than I thought. I'm not sure why I'm finding it tricky to stay on top of it and I know I'll regret it especially when I read back over it at the end of the year.  I turned another year older and despite it being a year that is turning out to be unpredictable I'm thankful that I'm here to see another birthday. It's always hard planning what to do, something that I know won't cost an arm and a leg. In the end I spent it eating lol. Helen and I went to this amazing Creole restaurant, literally a hidden gem that had the most amazing food and drinks that were even too strong for Helen!  I have no idea why it rained on my birthday! In the middle of summer!! Honestly sometimes I can't deal with this country. Then I got changed for